In Episode 59 I sat down with Dr Renae Thomas, MD who is is a Physician working in Loma Linda California, one of the Blue Zone populations that display incredible longevity and high quality of life. This is a really important podcast – sometimes in nutritional science we can become too reductionist and zoom in on potential mechanisms without appreciating the complexities of human-beings. Observational data from people displaying longevity, happiness and a high quality of life serve as a reminder that sometimes we need to Zoom Out and look to those who are living proof of what it means to be healthy.
If you want to hear from an actual expert (a qualified Medical Doctor) talk about longevity and how to eat to avoid disease then you will love this episode.
IN THIS EPISODE WE DISCUSS:
- Where Renee grew up
- Her journey to Medical School
- Why she developed an interest in the role of food and medicine
- Why it’s like working in Loma Linda, California
- What the Blue Zones are?
- Seventh Adventist’s and the AHS studies – how vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians and omnivores compare in terms of health outcomes and mortality
- Typical clinical patient presentations in this population of Seventh Adventist’s
- Contrasting populations nearby who have different lifestyles
- The type of diet that seventh adventists eat
- Renee’s thoughts on the Ketogenic/High fat style diets and whether they are supported by science
- and much much more
AHS population studies:
From the Intro:
If you enjoyed this podcast both myself @plant_proof
and Renee @drrenaethomas
would love to hear from you! And if you haven’t left a review for the show on iTunes yet and have 1-2 minutes it would be greatly appreciated!
WHERE TO LISTEN TO THE PLANT PROOF PODCAST?
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be listened to on iTunes, Google Podcasts (note: use the google podcast app not google play), Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud or on the Plantproof.com directly. If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Hope you enjoy the episode,
Search 'Plant Proof' in your favourite podcast streaming app
If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.